For Immediate Release
October 27, 2023
HAMILTON, ON – Members of the public are encouraged to have their voices heard over the coming months by providing their perspectives on this year’s City of Hamilton budget.
The first public delegation opportunity is scheduled for the Monday, November 6, 2023 General Issues Committee (GIC) meeting where community members can speak to priorities in advance of staff presenting the 2024 rate supported and tax supported budgets. Delegates will be heard in the order that they are received at the city, and limited to presentation time of 5 minutes.
Applications to speak virtually, in person or to provide a written delegation for the November 6, 2023 GIC meeting are due by 12 noon on November 3, 2023. Applications to provide a video delegation are due by 12 noon on November 2, 2023. Delegation requests should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org or by completing the Submit Request to Speak form on the city website.
The second delegation day for the 2024 budget process is scheduled for the January 16, 2024 GIC meeting, prior to presentations from City departments, boards and agencies. Members of the public will have an opportunity to focus more specifically on priorities as they relate to the tax supported budget.
Applications to speak virtually, in person or to provide a written delegation about the tax operating budget is 12 noon on January 15, 2024. Applications to provide a video delegation for the tax operating budget are due by 12 noon on January 12, 2024.
Hamilton Council intends to approve the 2024 Rate Supported Operating and Capital Budgets at a Council meeting on December 13, 2023 and the 2024 Tax Operating and Capital Budgets at a Special Council meeting on Thursday, February 15, 2024 at 9:30 a.m.
In planning for 2024 to 2027, the City’s budget plans will be shaped by the Council Priorities for 2022 to 2026 – Sustainable Economic and Ecological Development, Safe and Thriving Neighbourhoods, and Responsiveness and Transparency.
All City Council decisions around budget are informed by budget presentations, staff recommendations, and public delegations and feedback.
Members of the public interested in the City’s 2024 budget process can monitor the City’s website for budget-focused GIC meetings, which are streamed via the City’s website, the City’s YouTube channel or via https://cable14.com.
For more information, visit hamilton.ca/budget.
- The City of Hamilton provides more than 70 city services daily that residents rely on, such as parks, recreation, transit, emergency services and waste programs.
- A total of 58 per cent of the property tax collected goes towards city services. The remaining 42 per cent goes to boards and agencies, education and provincially funded programs such as Public Health Services, long-term care, paramedics, housing, Ontario Works and Children’s Services.
- The City’s annual budget process is designed to create budgets that support City operations and deliver the programs and services required to maintain the high quality of life for residents in our community, in keeping with the priorities identified in the Council Priorities.
- Each year, City staff begin budget planning and preparations in the spring.
- There are two main components to the City’s annual budget:
- Tax Supported Operating and Capital Budgets – a plan for both the day-to-day operations, including employee salaries, materials and supplies, contractual services and financing of capital projects and a long-term plan for the construction or purchase and financing of the City’s capital assets. The operating budget is largely funded by property tax dollars, government grants and user fees, which include charges for recreation programs, transit, infractions, permits and licensing. The capital budget is funded through government grants, development charges, reserves, long term debt and contributions from the operating budget.
- Rate Supported Operating and Capital Budgets – the rate supported operating budget is the annual plan for the day-to-day operations of the City’s services and financing of capital projects supported from water, wastewater and stormwater user rates. The rate supported capital budget is a long-term plan for the purchase or construction and financing of water, waste water and stormwater capital assets. They are funded through government grants, development charges, reserves, long term debt and contributions from the operating budget.
“Hamilton is facing a lot of budget pressures and input from the community is vitally important to make sure our resources are deployed to have the best impact for our city. I want to encourage Hamiltonians who live or work here to participate in this year’s budget process through public delegations.”
– Mayor Andrea Horwath
- Get Involved in Hamiton’s Budget Process
- City of Hamilton Frequently Asked Questions & Budget 101
- VIDEO: City of Hamilton Budget 101
- Request to speak to Committee of Council form